19 December 2015

Keeping busy

As I'm getting ready to unplug for the Christmas holidays and spend some quality time with my family, I've been wondering - what do you do for downtime on board during the Race? 

Working and living in the watch system means your life is going to be pretty hectic a lot of the time, trying to getting as much sleep as possible when racing along at 45° and trying to gain those crucial miles over your competitors.

This is actually a question that came up in my interview. I think I said something vague along the lines of reading, sudoku, and playing cards. One thing I know I definitely didn't say was having an egg and spoon race on deck. But apparently that's what the crew of the LMAX Exchange yacht got up to in the Southern Ocean - they had an egg and spoon race on deck in one of the most notoriously wild oceans on the planet. And they still managed to win the race from Cape Town to Sydney.

Mad they might be, but it certainly makes for some entertaining viewing - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment