6 December 2015

"But what about your career?"

Since announcing that I'm a signed up crew member for the Clipper Race 17-18 the question almost everyone asks is "But what about your career?" In response I tell them that taking part in the Clipper Race 17-18 will test my physical and mental strength in extreme conditions, when I'm sleep deprived, too  hot, too cold, sore all over and cannot take a break. This is no holiday - more people have climbed Mount Everest, than have sailed around the world. 
To me the Clipper Race represents a wealth of opportunity to test myself to my physical and mental limits (and find out where those limits are), learn new skills, and explore the world in a truly unique and exciting way. Taking part in the Clipper Race is also a chance for me to be part of something bigger than myself – working to support the invaluable work of British Red Cross and Official Race Charity UNICEF, and inspiring others in my local community and company to push themselves to take on new and exciting challenges every day.
Many of the skills I'll learn out on the world's oceans are transferrable and I hope will make me a better Editor. 
  • Innovation and creative problem solving - when you're 2000 miles from the nearest land and something crucial breaks, you have to learn to think creatively about how to fix it
  • Developing team tactics and strategy - it is a race after all!
  • Dispute resolution - when you're stuck living in the bunk below someone for weeks or months at end, there is no room for lingering arguments or holding grudges
  • Leadership - I hope to take on the role of Watch Leader for part of my circumnavigation, which involves taking responsibility for all the crew in a Watch and working closely with the Skipper
  • Teamwork and collaboration - it is impossible to sail the yacht if you don't work together as a team and collaborate to achieve your collective goals
  • Communication skills - in order for a crew to function effectively and safely, all crew members need to communicate clearly, well, and often
  • People skills - living in close quarters with 20 strangers for weeks at a time with little contact with the outside world will certainly improve my people skills

These are all transferable skills that I will have for life. I believe that the lessons I learn out on the water will help me to improve how I do my everyday work and, ultimately, they will help me develop my career in publishing. That's why I'm happy to take time out of my career now - the investment I make now will pay dividends for the rest of my life.

If you or a company you know would like to join as one of my Crew Supporters and take advantage of being associated with this global event with a viewership in excess of 900 million people then please contact me for more information about the rewards I am able to offer my supporters and the types of support sought.

No comments:

Post a Comment