22 December 2015

Around the world in 80 animals - Albatross


As I prepare to joint the Clipper Race 17-18, I'm building up a list of all the animals I hope to see during my circumnavigation. This week the spotlight is on an animal that I hope to see in Legs 2, 3, 4 and 6 - the albatross.

Albatross fast facts

Type: Bird 
Diet: Carnivore (mainly squid or schooling fish)
Average life span in the wild: Up to 50 years
Wingspan: 6.5 to 11 ft (2 to 3.4 m) - the longest of any birds
Weight: Up to 22 lbs (10 kg)
Group name: Flock
Size relative to a 6-ft (2-m) human:


Did you know?
Albatrosses have a special place in maritime lore and superstition, most memorably evoked in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner


Did you know? Albatrosses can circumnavigate the globe in just 46 days - that puts the Clipper fleet to shame!

Did you know? Mating pairs produce a single egg and take turns caring for it



No comments:

Post a Comment