15 August 2016

The Clipper vs Paid Holiday balancing act

A few people asked me at Crew Briefing recently about how I'm managing my work holiday allowance with all the training I need to do for Clipper as well as the thru-hiking I did earlier this year for British Red Cross.

To answer them and anyone else who is struggling with this, here are my tips for getting the most out of your paid holidays!


Bank holidays are your new best friend


You may have avoided them like the plague before now for fear of being attacked by swarms of hyperactive small children on holiday being trailed by exhausted parents, but they are your new BFF - time to embrace them. I've got my Level 2 booked for this August bank holiday weekend, and that's saved me a whole day of holiday that I can use to relax at Christmas or have a long weekend with a friend. Pretty nifty, eh?

Plan ahead

Back in November 2015 I booked my Level 1 and 2 training for March and August 2016, and recently I booked in my Level 3 for April 2017. While to some this may seem like crazy levels of organisation, actually by doing this I could plan around bank holidays (remember: you're now BFFs) and have worked it so that for three weeks of training, normally 15 work days, I've only had to take 10 holiday days. That's a whole extra week of paid time off hanging around for other Clipper activities or for less exhausting holiday options (long weekend in Paris anyone?).

Planning ahead also means that you're much more likely to get on the course you want when you want - bank holidays are training hot spots!


I hope this helps anyone who has been struggling a bit :) And if anyone else has any great tips for making the most of your holiday time, please let me know!


1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more Caitlin. I have also booked level 2 for this August bank holiday. See you then 😃

    ReplyDelete