17 April 2016

Gill Marine kit review: Sailing Boots

Welcome to the latest in what will very likely be many kit reviews as I stumble my way through the maze that is finding the right kit for me in my journey from landlubber to an ocean racing sailor who has crossed the Atlantic Ocean.

Tall Yachting Boots

Official Spec
  • 100% natural rubber compound.
  • Non-slip razor cut soles for grip.
  • Quick drying polyester lining.
  • Removable ultra light cushioned inner soles with exceptional arch support.
  • Reinforced heel, instep and toe.
  • Padded tie top
  • £45 from Pirates Chandlery

My review

Comfy with no need to wear them in and roomy enough for nice thick socks, these boots were perfect for Level 1 training in the UK in March. Plus, at only £45, these were the perfect combination of quality and a bargain.

They were a little snug on my calves when I had my thermal leggings on, but I do have 'shapely' calves and this does actually mean that there's even less chance of water getting in and down to my feet - which is definitely a good thing! While I didn't have much chance to test out their grip in very wet conditions due to the remarkably fair weather we had, when they did get wet they held up well and I felt that I had pretty secure footing. They weren't good on an icy deck in the morning, but then I don't think any sailing boots would be as they're all designed for liquid water and not solid!

Although not the most fashionable item, they are nonetheless perfectly suitable footwear for any and all marina pubs and bars - I can attest this as I wore them into the Anchor in Cowes and they didn't get a second look from anyone. I did get a few odd looks on the train home after training though, so if you're particularly image-conscious maybe think about wearing deck shoes to get home!

I expect these will be perfectly fine for Leg 1 and any of the hotter legs, although I think if I do manage to go RTW I'll need boots with a warmer lining as although my feet were warm enough with thick socks, I was only in the Solent during a particularly warm spring week - the Southern Ocean and Pacific will be another story. 

My verdict? A respectable 4 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment